Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Saturday March 6th: from above...

Everyday you learn something new... Every day is what you make of it.

We left the school probably close to noon... I'm not even sure. I found out our first flight was leaving at 3:15 p.m., so we hung out at the airport for a while, just chilling. I do not know half of the people I'm traveling with, which can be kind of scary... I’d say it's rather interesting. I'd say the whole airport would think we are a rather interesting group of people, especially after some of us did the "Single ladies" and the "cupid shuffle" dances right there in the gate.

The first flight was all good. One of the team member's third flight ever... she was gently scared, maybe panicking would be a better adjective. She did just fine past the nervous laugh of the departure. i got the lone sit to the window, way in the back of the airplane. One of our flight attendants made our trip a bit entertaining.

We got to Houston with barely any time to get to the connection flight. That was a run!

I might have forgotten to mention earlier that I am sick currently... bronchitis to be precise. Carrying two too-heavy carry-on bags and a pre-historic laptop all together was not a good idea. My shoulders are killing me still! But then again it was almost necessary for me to take more than one bag... as I explained yesterday, miracles do happen, but maybe not too often when a girl is packing, we all need our stuff.

So I got to the plane tired like a grandma. All I had in my mind was the picture of some decent, quality sleep. I got a hall seat this time. At first I was sad because of the ever possibility of looking to my country's territory while flying over it.... but as soon as I realized it was more of a night flight, I calmed down and set my mind to rest.

I got to admit that the idea of being so close from home and yet so far is hitting me harder than I thought it would. Listening to my ipod, tuning some Latin rhythms in I couldn’t help but to offer some tears for my beloved, so very missed Salvadorian ones. As I said a prayer for them the smell of home came to my mind... and then I was reminded home is where you make it yourself. Pronouncing the word "soon" in broken Spanish, I slept the idea away.

We got dinner served at the plane. At that moment I learned that the only difference between a hamburger and a "charbroil sandwich with American cheese" is the fancy name of the latter. They taste exactly the same to me.

I slept some more until I was woken up by the talking behind me. And then I saw them, the lights, from the city. We were almost there. My heart, still in the twilight of dreams, pounded a little harder. I could breathe the excitement, although as soon as the pressure lowered, so my headache increased. I was exhausted.

Landing was bumpy and fast, but I guess it was safe... i mean, we made it, did we not?

We went through costumes, we met with Mr. Ben and his wife, and we got to the hotel. It feels more like a beach recreational hostel rather. I can't describe the feeling when I finally rested my back in my bed the tonight.

We met in the restaurant to go through tomorrow's schedule and some other guidelines... and yet, I barely have a clue of what's going on, as always. We are zip-lining! That I know! And I am so excited about it! I have not done anything wild like that in a while. Later some shopping at Massaya and then heading to Jinotega. Anxiety attack alert!

I got to see Philip, finally, after too long. He’s just one of those people that you know you barely know; but somehow you feel like you know them too well. It seems to me that through his photography he opens up his heart to the world; through his blogging he describes the way he gives away his blood for the sake of others: A transparent link to which I cannot escape. Plus, he thinks I am an exceptional writer! So there, I kind of feel understood by him. It was nice to have a chat.

It was also funny to notice that the last people awake were the broadcasters and electronic media people... and listening to some stories I learned so much more about them! Word of the day: fire-thrower. Definition: Ask Russ.

My wireless card is not working for some reason, so I will not post this until it is a little too late... but the point is that the message gets through, right? I hope so.

I'm off to bed. Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment